Tips for getting a better night sleep
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, cool and uncluttered.
- Don't pay bills or work late at night. Instead, start slowing down and relaxing well before bedtime. Spend some quiet time together listening to music, reading or just talking.
- Daily exercise can help you sleep better, but if you work out too late in the evening, it can keep you keyed up and make it harder to fall asleep.
- Don't watch TV in your bedroom late at night. It goes back to sleep preparation.
- If you can't sleep, knowing what time it is only makes it worse. So turn those red lights away from you to help you relax.
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and don't sleep in. Instead, take power naps on weekends.
- If you live in an apartment or on a busy street, use a fan or one of those rain forest sound machines to drown out the neighbors and the traffic.
- Try not to drink caffeinated beverages after 2 p.m. If you crave coffee late in the day, try decaf. On a related note, don't eat anything heavy before bed. If you're hungry, try fruit or cereal.